The details of cattle seized by BSF along Indo-Bangladesh border during last five years is as under:
|Total number of cattle seized||1,68,801||1,19,299||63,716||77,410||46,809|
Following steps are being taken by Border Security Force (BSF) to prevent cattle smuggling along Indo-Bangladesh Border:-
- Effective domination of the borders by carrying out round the clock patrolling, laying nakas, establishing observation posts all along the International Border (IB) and strengthening of existing defences of the Border Out Posts (BOPs).
- Vulnerability mapping of BOPs to assess the sensitivity of area of responsibility for cross border crimes is being reviewed regularly and accordingly, sensitive BOPs are being strengthened by deploying additional manpower, special surveillance equipment and other force multiplier.
- Deployment of technological solutions.
- Erection of border fencing on the IB.
- Installation of border floodlight along border security fence to lit up the area.
- Use of water crafts/boats and floating BOPs for domination of riverine area of IB.
- Simultaneous Co-ordinated Patrolling is being conducted with Border Guard Bangladesh on Indo-Bangladesh border.
- Conduct of special operations along the border and nearby areas.
- Upgradation of intelligence network and coordination with other security agencies.
Whenever the involvement of a BSF personnel comes to light for cattle smuggling along Indo-Bangladesh border, BSF carries out investigation and appropriate disciplinary action is taken as per the rules.
This was stated by the Minister of State for Home Affairs, Shri Nityanand Rai in a written reply to question in the Rajya Sabha today.